Friday, November 21, 2008

Perfect 10 Series: Frost*- Experiments In Mass Appeal


In the previous edition of the perfect 10 series, I talked about a beautiful album by a band called Moon Safari. This time, the album if by a band named Frost* and in my opinion is almost flawless. Every song is its own little masterpiece and I get extremely excited at the start of each track as I go through the album. I feel it is a good sign when it is too hard to determine a favorite track from an album and I have to conclude that my favorite track is whichever one I'm currently listening to.

I love the bombastic nature of this album. Many of the songs switch between quiet, serene passages to loud, fast extravaganzas that catches the listener off guard. A good example of this is the title track that begins the album. You start with a very nice, peaceful melody accompanied by acoustic guitars, and then, bam! you are hit full force with a very loud, powerful piece. This contrast is brillant and makes the album that much more exciting.

I don't know what to say except that every track is brilliant in its own way. Particularly, I love Pocket Sun and the crazy drum part that I still have a hard time wrapping my head around. I love the beauty of Saline, especially the string section at the end. Dear Dead Days is fantastic, everything I love about Prog wrapped up in a nice 6 minute package. It is just incredible and leads right into the next fantastic song, Falling Down. I have to also say that You/I is my favorite 1 minute song- it is just haunting beauty personified.

Another of my favorite tracks is Wonderland, which I feel is closest to their other album, Milliontown (even with a reference to the album included). I love the piano lines and the beautiful singing. Also great are the other tracks, Welcome to Nowhere and Toys, which are just tons of fun. This album has it all- incredible beauty, breathtaking soundscapes, and impeccable musicianship. I just grin from ear to ear through the whole thing. I only have one criticism- it is way too short! The album goes by so fast, but I enjoy every second of it. I think Frost* just increased several positions on my favorite artist list. Well done, mates!

No comments: