Wednesday, January 14, 2009

American Idol: People To Watch Out For (Part 1)

Welcome to American Idol!

During the auditions weeks, I'm going to try to not comment on the bad auditions (which I feel can be quite negative and humiliating) but instead point out people that caught my eye and who I think may have a bright future in American Idol. So, here goes!

First Stop: Phoenix, Arizona

1. Emily Hughes

I am a big fan of rockers, and she seemed to genuinely rock. She sang her heart out on Heart's Barricuda, and it was the first goosebump inducing moment of the season for me. I think she'll need a lot more dedication to the show if she wants to move forward too far, but I was very happy and felt she started off the season great.

2. Stevie Wright

I think she has great potential. She is young, beautiful and extremely talented. She gave a great rendition of "At Last" (not an easy song to sing) and I think she can go far. The only problem is that she needs to have some kind of edge that can separate her from the pack.

3. Alex Wagner-Trugman

I have a soft spot for nerds, and I think this guy fits that bill. Perhaps that is why I was such a big Clay Aiken and Chris Sligh fan (and didn't David Cook call himself the 'word nerd'?). Alex was very smart and calm during his audition and was surprisingly soulful. I'm not sure if he'll make it too far because he doesn't quite have that idol look, but you never know.

4. Scott MacIntyre

Scott gets the reward for the most tugging at one's heartstrings last night. Scott was the man with a vision impairment, and he proved that he does in fact have talent. I wasn't extremely impressed with his audition, but I do recognize that he has potential. I'm very interested to see how he does with Hollywood week.

And those are the four Arizonians that stood out to me. Stay tuned for part 2 when Idol goes to Kansas City!

No comments: