Friday, January 16, 2009

American Idol: People To Watch Out For (Part 2)


I loved this episode- perhaps more than any other audition episode of American Idol ever. I think this is mainly due to the focus on good talent and uplifting stories. As I did last time, I will highlight those contestants that have caught my eye so far and may make it far in the competition.

Second Stop: Kansas City, Missouri

1. Lil Rounds

Yes, I must agree with everyone that she has probably given the best audition yet. She pulled at heartstrings by sharing her story about her family being affected by a twister. Idol usually likes to save the best for last during the audition episodes, and this was definitely the case here. I really have a strong feeling she'll be part of our top 12.

2. Von Smith

I was impressed when this guy took his place and simply belted out "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Yes, it was overdone, but he made a significant statement- that he has a voice that not many others have. His vocal power is a strength that could end up a weakness if he overuses it. But, I think there may be potential here.

3. Asa Barnes

Asa was a very likeable guy who is a middle-school music director. He sang a Michael Jackson song and didn't turn it into a complete train wreck. It wasn't the best audition ever, but he proved that he does have significant potential in this competition. I hope for good things from him.

4. Jessica Furney

I loved her take on Janis Joplin and was very touched by the way she interacted with her 93 year old hearing impaired Grandma. I thought she had a lot of personality in her voice and a good tone. I look forward to seeing more out of her.

5. Danny Gokey

His was one of the more heartfelt moments of the episode. His wife died and it was an extremely difficult thing for him to deal with. That is why I felt like cheering for him when he tackled "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". I felt he had a lot of soul and once again a great personality. I really hope he can make it through Hollywood week.

I could probably mention a few more, but these 5 really are the standouts for me. I also wanted to give a brief mention about Jason Castro's brother, Michael. I loved Jason Castro last year (probably my second favorite contestant overall after David Cook) so I look forward to seeing what his brother can do. I wasn't able to tell much from his audition, which is why he isn't included above. I did like the fact that he had only started singing like 20 days ago in order to compete against his brother. There is nothing bertter than some healthy sibling competiton, right?

No comments: