Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Inspiration Week" Less Than Inspired

To be honest, I must admit that the contestants for the most part didn't match my expectations. Maybe I'm expecting a little too much, but I hope for better amongst the best set of idol contestants in the history of the show. This week was "inspirational week" in honor of the mighty "Idol Gives Back" that takes place for a lengthy 2 and a half hours tonight. So, we must wait an extra day for the results, but that won't keep me from weighing in on where I think the contestants stand and how their performances rank last night.

8. Carly Smithson, "The Show Must Go On"
Award: Biggest Fall From Frontrunner Status Award
At the outset of the top 24 Carly was being promoted as the one to beat this season. Now she is barely hanging on. How did this happen? I think that Carly simply can't make an impression on the judges or the audience at large. She hasn't shown the world who she is as an artist, and so nobody is able to connect with her. This performance vocally was by no means the worst, but it is not special by any means. Simon was right, she seemed angry and almost seemed to fall apart towards the end. I felt that she strained too much to reach certain notes or make certain vocal runs work. It seems like Carly feels she has to pull all her vocal tricks from her magic hat just to stick around another week. It is a shame, but I think she may be the one to fall this week.

7. Syesha Mercado, "I Believe"
Award: Bad Song Choice Award
Syesha, Syesha, Syesha. I think Syesha is an awesome singer and has potential, but this is another week where she has made the wrong choice in choosing her song. Syesha tried to tackle a Whitney Houston classic last week, and this week she chooses to attempt the definitive performance from Idol Winner Fantasia Barrino that ultimately led her to victory. Fantasia has this amazing ability to emotionally connect to her songs and convey that connection to the audience. Unfortunately Syesha does not have this talent, so she loses in a comparison to Fantasia. It is unfair in many ways to always compare the singer to the original performer of the song, but in the case of "I Believe" it is a remarkable case that can't be left out of the minds of avid American Idol fans. So, "I Believe" that Syesha is in trouble again this week and will land in the bottom three, but will be spared. Hopefully she'll learn from this two-time mistake and choose a song that doesn't lend itself to comparison to the original artist.

6. David Cook, "Innocent"
Award: Biggest Dissapointment of the Night Award
David Cook really dissapointed me last night. This is because I expect so much better from David C. He has consistently delivered since the beginning of the competition and his performances are always ones that I look most forward to. Unfortunately, this was not his night, and he gave a performance that was all over the place and never seemed to work. I'm not sure if I agree with Simon's arrogant comment, but I do think that David C. didn't infuse his uniqueness into this performance. This could have been any generic rock singer, and David C. is a lot better than that. Luckily, his past performances should be enough to keep him safe this week. I wouldn't be surprised at a shocker of him being in the bottom three, but there is no way he'll get voted off. I really hope he is back to form next week.

5. Brooke White, "You've Got a Friend"
Award: The Most Predictable Award
I love Brooke and think that she offers something truly special to the competiton this year. That being said, the best word I can come up with to describe her performance is "bland". There wasn't much substance to it. I think Simon said it best when he described it as "pleasant". I think it was bad for her to go last because the public expects the last performance to be great, and this wasn't. Brooke seems to have a very narrow comfort zone in regards to song choice, and it is started to make her performances predictable and dare I say, boring. But, I still think Brooke has it in her. I think the bottom three scare last week will be enough for fans to keep her out of it this week. Only time will tell.

4. Kristi Lee Cook, "Anyway"
Award: Third Smart Move Award
It physically hurts me to put my least favorite idol contestant this high up in the ranking. But, I have to give her credit for making another incredibly smart move that I'm positive will keep her in the competiton another week. First she picked an American Anthem that everybody loves and made it impossible for America to vote her off. Then she stayed within her comfort level on a theme night right up her ally. Now, she has picked a song that perfectly suits her and sang it well. I guess I've underestimated her. I don't know what else to say. She has picked the right genre to stick too, Country, and I think it might take her farther in this competition than I previously realized. Good job, Kristi.

3. Michael Johns, "Dream On"
Award: He Can Really Rock Award
I am really becoming a fan of Michael Johns and I think this was his third great performance in a row. The judges didn't seem as enthused as me, but I still think he picked a great song and sang the heck out of it. The only critique I have about this is that he is perpetuating the idea that he is a rock singer wannabe. The judges are very picky when it comes to Michael and seem determined to give him praise only when he sings a blues-soul type song. I do think this may be smart to separate himself from David Cook, but at the same time I really do think that he can rock. I'm excited to see Michael continually rise up to the occasion and become the true frontrunner he deserves to be.

2. David Archuleta, "Angels"
Award: Consistency Award
David Archuleta did another great job this week. I don't agree with the judges in saying this was his best performance of the whole show, but David did what he does best. David has a pure sound to his voice that is very appealing and I am confident that he'll be in the finals. I can't think of much more to say except that once again he was great and I hope that he continues to be great. Maybe my lack of things to say is telling of what I think of David. I agree that he is an incredible singer and has the best voice of the competition, but there isn't that distinct, unique quality about him that makes him special to me. I think David Cook definitely has it, and Michael Johns is starting to have it, but something is missing from David Archuleta. Maybe I'm overthinking things. Anyways, bottom line is that David Archuleta has an amazing voice and he didn't dissapoint last night.

1. Jason Castro, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
Award: WOW That was incredible! Award
Jason Castro last night really impressed me. I was really worried about Jason's place in this competition, but all worries melted away when he gave a pure, inspired version of this classic song. Jason is definitely unique in this competition in a wonderful way. In all of my watching of American Idol I can't recall anyone who is even remotely like him. I think Jason will be a star after this season regardless of what position he finishes in, and I will definitely buy his album. I think this performance proved that you don't have to do vocal gymnastics to give a solid performance. All you have to do is convey the beauty and feeling of the song you are singing, and sometimes simplicity is the best approach. I am really rooting for Jason this season, and he may have an honest chance at the top if he can keep bringing it like this.

So, I was a little uninspired after American Idol last night, but in retrospect there were moments of brilliance. I think the person going home Thursday night will be one of the women. And, my best guess at this moment is Carly, which is truly unfortunate because I considered her to have the best shot at the crown on the women's side. I might have to switch that position to Brooke. This season sure is interesting!



No comments: