Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Perfect 10 Series: Moon Safari- [blomljud]


The perfect 10 series is an opportunity for me to discuss albums that I consider to be a perfect 10 on the 1-10 scale. These are albums that touch me deeply down to my very soul. I figured it would be appropriate to discuss an album that has been on constant rotation in my CD player recently. This album is "blomljud" and it is a fantastic album from the progressive rock band, Moon Safari. This is Moon Safari's second album, their first is "A Doorway to Summer" (which may be featured in a future edition of this series). Moon Safari are so special because of their blending of classic progressive elements and superb harmonies that melt my soul. The album begins with an incredible acapella piece where all the band member's voices come together in a sublime way. Then the album kicks off with "Methuselah's Children" which is an amazing piece that showcases everything this band is about. There is more power to this album than their debut, and I think it works fantastically. The band is also able to include their incredible heart-melting harmonies in all their songs.

I love "Yasgur's Farm", which starts out the second disc. It is a great showcase for the guitar as there is a lot of solo-ing in the middle, which leads to another fantastic harmony section. I can't express the pure beauty of the epic piece "The Other Half of the Sky" which is over thirty minutes long. This piece starts off with a beautiful acoustic section and moves into a more powerful driving rhythm. What I love about this band is their blending of softer acoustic moments to full blown powerful progressive rock. Moon Safari have created a special album here that is a perfect way to make the transition from Winter to Spring. This album personifies Spring by being truly uplifting and happy. I can't listen to this album without getting a big smile on my face. This is the music of my soul and really connects with me in a deep and profound way. I am thankful for Moon Safari for creating such a special album, and hope that others will discover this amazing band.

No comments: